Preparing For College Move-Out: How Self Storage Can Help Simplify The Process
As the end of the semester approaches, how can students best prepare to move out? Moving out of your college dorm, apartment, or house is a daunting task when you don’t prepare properly. This year, you can put a plan in place to ensure you have an organized transition.
You can have a stress-free move by creating a move-out checklist, decluttering, packing efficiently, and utilizing a self storage unit. By putting your large items in a self storage unit, you don’t have to deal with them taking up space in your home while you wait to move back to college. At Urban Self Storage, we can help with your storage unit needs
Best Ways for College Students To Organize Their Items
Create a Move-Out Checklist
The first step to take is to create a college move-out checklist. By creating a detailed checklist, you can ensure you don’t miss important steps to keep your items organized. Your checklist should include the following:
- Sort through belongings.
- Get rid of items you no longer need.
- Pack items for storage.
- Pack essential things to keep through the summer separately.
- Clean the dorm or apartment.
- Return textbooks or other things you rented from the school.
You can personalize your checklist based on the specific tasks you need to complete. For example, if you need to return the key to your dorm or apartment, you can include that toward the end of your checklist so you don’t forget.
Sort Your Items and Declutter
When you move, it gives you the opportunity to go through your belongings. You can begin by sorting your items into the following categories:
- Keep. Place items you want to keep in boxes. When you box up these items, make sure to separate the items based on what you want to bring to a storage unit and what you want to bring to where you will live over the summer.
- Sell. If you have items of value, such as a TV or gaming console you no longer want, you could sell them.
- Donate. If you have items in good condition that you no longer want, you could donate them to a local organization.
- Trash. You can put items in rough condition that you no longer want in the trash.
Keeping items you haven’t used all year won’t allow you to move into your next space feeling fresh. Only keep items that add value to your space so you don’t end up with too much clutter.
When you pack efficiently, it will make unpacking go much smoother. The best way to pack efficiently is to make sure you start with the proper packing supplies. Then pack similar items together, such as bathroom items. Finally, label the box with a description of the contents inside so you know where each box belongs when you get to the new place.
Make sure you use bubble wrap or other protection inside the boxes if you have something fragile. Otherwise, you could end up with a box of broken items when you go to unpack.
Utilize a Self Storage Unit
When it comes to finding a suitable place to keep your belongings while you’re home for the summer, you could face some pretty specific challenges. By utilizing a self storage space, you can transition easily without the worry of where to put the things you don’t need until next year.
Self storage units can provide a safe space to store your belongings during this transitional time. You can declutter your living space without the worry of having to get rid of items you want to keep.
Benefits of Using a Self Storage Unit for Your College Move-Out
You can enjoy the many benefits of a student storage unit when you rent one. Benefits include:
- Flexibility. Student storage units offer flexible rental options. You can choose to store just a few boxes of large furniture. You don’t have to pay for more than you need by having many available size options. Also, you don’t have to sign a long-term contract, so you aren’t locked into paying for your storage unit longer than you need it.
- Convenience. You can easily access your items when you need to. Our locations have wide aisles to make loading and unloading your unit seamless. We also offer packing and moving supplies, so if you forget something along the way, we have you covered.
At Urban Self Storage, we offer storage options for college students. We have affordable options where you can conveniently access your items when needed.
In addition to these benefits, you can also have the peace of mind that your items are in a safe and secure place. When you are ready to move out of your storage unit, you can expect your items to be in the same condition as when you left them.
Contact us today to find out about our storage unit availability in your location. A friendly member of our team can assist you and set you up with a self storage unit.